Staff Nurse - Medical/Surgical Inpatient Units - South Dublin
Permanent Full Time
General or Staff Nurse
Clarity Recruitment are currently recruiting for a Staff Nurse
for the Medical/Surgical Inpatient Units
in a prestigious hospital in South Dublin
The ideal candidate must be/have:
A full NMBI pin registration in good standing - Decision Letters will not be accepted
Minimum of 1 year Surgical Ward experience is preferred, but not essential
The ability to work both as an independent practitioner as well as a team member
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Independently perform duties and assume responsibility for care of assigned patients.
- Work within professional guidelines as laid down by Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland Code of Conduct for Nurses.
- Carry out all Nursing practices in accordance with the hospital Surgical & Medical Ward Policies; including the care, control and administration of medicines.
- Collaborate with other staff in order to provide a high standard of nursing practice.
- Maintain and update own knowledge continuously. This includes keeping up to date with mandatory training such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Take the nursing history, summarise data, and state nursing diagnoses and patient care needs.
- Observe and record signs, symptoms, and behaviours, including the physiological status of patients; present the assessment of changes, the proposed revision of interventions, and desired outcomes.
- Maintain accurate nursing records and Surgical & Medical Ward records as per hospital policy.
- Follow policy for activating an individualised plan of care for newly admitted patients.
- Deliver designated nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with the stated medical plan of care.
- Perform admission, discharge, transfer procedures, and assist others with patient's activities and care.
- Execute physician's orders for all assigned patients; safely and properly administers medications and treatments.
- Notify appropriate nursing and medical staff to changes in the patient's status.
- Perform techniques and routines in the specialty service area.
- Perform or assist others to perform proper aseptic techniques, isolation procedures, and infection control measures.
- Evaluate care given including the patient response.
- Reassess and document the proposed revision of interventions and desired outcomes.
- Demonstrate ability to assess patient's understanding of and compliance with instructions and health care teaching.
- Be aware of the hazards which can occur within the Surgical/Medical Ward, i.e. electrical, chemical and transport, and initiate preventative measures.
- Monitor and supervise the safe maintenance of equipment – reporting problems to the Clinical Coordinator or their deputy.
- Be prepared to assist with the generation of duty rosters by providing flexibility to allow for effective staffing cover to meet the needs of the department.
- Rotate within all specialities as required by the Nursing Manager.
- Discuss any problems or potential problems with the Clinical Coordinator or Nurse in Charge
- Ensure that the patients’ next of kin are involved as appropriate.
- Full nursing participation in and supervision of patient’s meal and dietary requirements.
- Delegation is appropriate to the skill level and knowledge of the individual to whom the task is delegated.
- Effective management of complaints.
- Be prepared to deputise for the Clinical Coordinator if required.
- Participate in all ward and hospital nursing communication processes
- Maintain the patient’s confidentiality regarding his or her condition upholding the Code of Professional Conduct at all times.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.