Clarity Locums | Locum Agency Menu

Working as a locum GP in the UK

Working as a locum GP in the UK

The shortage of doctors in the UK is an old and persistent problem, so working as a doctor in this country can be an excellent option for you, regardless of whether you obtained your degree in the UK or in another country.

All doctors who wish to practice in the UK must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC). To register with the Medical Council, there are a few steps that need to be taken.

Before you register with the GMC, first you must obtain a medical degree from a Medical University. The Basic Medical Course usually takes five years to complete. And after graduation, a two-year Foundation Programme will follow. Throughout the two-year program, you will experience different medical specialties with supervision.

However your medical education will not end here, as like other healthcare professionals, GPs must continue their professional development (CPD), even after completing their initial training. According to the Royal College of General Practitioners, 250 credits are required for GP revalidation every five years.

As referred above, to work as a GP in the UK, either as an employee in a clinic / hospital or as a Locum GP, you will need to have a license to exercise the profession by the General Medical Council.

The registration process will require a few steps and will also depend on where you obtained your Medical Diploma, among other things.

There are 4 types of registration:

1. Provisional registration (this type of registration allows doctors to complete a UK approved F1 programme. Learn more here.)

2. Full registration (Doctors need full registration with a licence to move on to the 2nd year of the Foundation Programme (F2) or to work in unsupervised medical practice in the NHS or UK private practice. Learn more here.)

3. GP registration (All doctors who want to work as GP in the UK, must be on the register. This requirement also applies to Locum GPs. Learn more about the GP registration here.)

4. Specialist registration (This type of registration is for doctors who have a specialist medical qualification and want to work as a specialist consultant. Learn more here.)

If you graduated outside the UK, you must have a sponsored or approved visa to work in the UK. In addition, you must take an English test (IELTS) and obtain at least 7.0 in each test component and an overall score of 7.5 (or higher) to obtain a GMC license.

In the UK, GPs can work as employees, associates or as Locums.

Salaried GPs have the usual benefits of being employed and generally earn between £ 55,000 - £ 90,000 gross per year, depending on experience.

Associated GPs are self-employed doctors who partner in a practice. They usually earn more than the employed GPs, but they also pay their own taxes. They can also receive a share of the annual profits of the company where they work.

Locum GPs work between practices as needed. This is a great job for doctors who like flexibility, control over their working hours, variety and who like to work more independently. Locum GPs are also self-employed doctors and earn on an hourly basis, which allows them to earn much more than employed doctors. They generally earn between £ 50 - £ 100 per hour depending on experience.

Clarity has several GP roles available that may interest you!

If you would like to work as a GP in the UK or need any relevant information, feel free to contact Heem at [email protected]

Not registered with us yet?

Download Clarity Locums App, register for FREE and stay up to date on the latest roles available in your area!

Posted on 17 May 2021
Share This Article

Need anything?

First of all check out our FAQs section, it might just have what you need.

ROI +353 1 532 5441 | UK +44 2033227225 | NZL + 64 27 220 0494
[email protected]